Community

Woman wearing a mask while standing on stage behind a podium in front of a screen. The screen says "moving stories: latinas en Baltimore"

UMBC hosts 11th International Digital Storytelling Conference

UMBC’s commitment to highlighting storytelling research continued this summer as the university co-hosted the first state-side edition of the 11th International Digital Storytelling Conference—a four-day event showcasing an expansive range of storytelling-focused projects and initiatives. The conference was a collaborative effort in partnership with the Smithsonian Institution, StoryCenter, and Montgomery College. Continue Reading UMBC hosts 11th International Digital Storytelling Conference

Five UMBC students sitting amongst one another on UMBC's campus. Students have books and laptops in their hands with UMBC's logo on several books.

U.S. News ranks UMBC among the nation’s best colleges in undergraduate research, teaching, innovation, and value

UMBC continues to show its strengths in undergraduate research, innovation, value, teaching programs, and several other areas highlighted in the 2023–24 U.S. News and World Report Best Colleges undergraduate rankings. This year, the university moved up in the national rankings in numerous categories, showcasing UMBC’s growth in several key areas. Continue Reading U.S. News ranks UMBC among the nation’s best colleges in undergraduate research, teaching, innovation, and value

portrait of woman standing in front of colorful, science-themed mural

Michelle Starz-Gaiano brings leadership experience, relationships to new department chair role

Michelle Starz-Gaiano began as an assistant professor at UMBC in 2008. Since then, her research program has blossomed, she’s mentored half a dozen graduate students and more than 50 undergraduates, and she’s taken on numerous leadership roles. Now she’ll add department chair to that list. “I think we have amazing people working and studying here,” she says, “and I really want to make sure they can be successful.” Continue Reading Michelle Starz-Gaiano brings leadership experience, relationships to new department chair role

UMBC student smiling while presenting research at URCAD 2023. (Marlayna Demond '11/UMBC)

Lighting design to flu treatment: UMBC students share research and creative work at URCAD 2023

In 2020, Renata Taylor-Smith ‘24, theatre, eagerly prepared for her first trip to Munich, Germany to study theatrical lighting design, but a week before she was meant to fly to Germany, her trip was canceled due to COVID-19. She learned that the show she was working on would be postponed indefinitely. Discover how she pivoted to have a valuable research experience, recently shared at UMBC’s annual Undergraduate Research and Creative Achievement Day (URCAD 23023), where hundreds of students presented their work. Continue Reading Lighting design to flu treatment: UMBC students share research and creative work at URCAD 2023

Portrait of smiling Valerie Sheares Ashby; inside an academic building

Let’s celebrate! UMBC marks the inauguration of President Valerie Sheares Ashby with community events, April 18 – 27

“These first…months have been energizing, inspiring, and joyful. The more people I meet, and the more I start to make connections, the more I love this place,” President Valerie Sheares Ashby says. Her Investiture ceremony on April 27 is a historic milestone in the life of the university, one not to be missed.  Continue Reading Let’s celebrate! UMBC marks the inauguration of President Valerie Sheares Ashby with community events, April 18 – 27

Tanyka M. Barber smiles for a professional headshot, wearing a yellow shirt and black blazer, outdoors, in front of a larger glass and brick building

UMBC welcomes Tanyka M. Barber as vice president for institutional equity and chief diversity officer

“Being a Maryland native, I was familiar with UMBC and its stellar academic and research reputation, and as I progressed through the hiring process, the genuine commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion was evident,” says Tanyka M. Barber. “That is what confirmed for me that this was a place I wanted to be.” Continue Reading UMBC welcomes Tanyka M. Barber as vice president for institutional equity and chief diversity officer

Scroll to Top