Skip to Main Content

Summer Session 2015

Visiting Students

Visiting students must first apply for admission to summer or winter sessions and must submit a new application to enroll in subsequent terms at UMBC.

Note: Current and incoming UMBC students do not need to submit an additional application to take summer or winter courses.

You are considered a visiting student if you

  • Attend another college or university, and earn credits at UMBC to transfer back to your home institution.
  • Enroll at UMBC for a single, non-consecutive term in the summer or winter session.

Visiting student requirements

  • Must apply for admission to UMBC as a visiting student by May 20 for Session I or June 30 for Session II.
  • Must be admitted before registering for courses (last day to register without a late fee is May 25 for Session I and July 5 for Session I.
  • Late registration for classes with open seats is May 29 for Session I and July 9 for Session II.
  • Please note: The summer session application will be unavaialbe from May 22 - May 25. Students applying for Summer Session II will be able to access the summer session application again on May 26.
  • NOTE:  Visiting students will initially be blocked from registering in any UMBC course with prerequisite requirements. You must first obtain a prerequisite override before you can enroll.
  • If you attend another University of Maryland System (USM) school, please be aware that USM inter-institutional enrollment only applies to fall and spring semesters. Therefore, students from other USM schools who wish to enroll in summer or winter session at UMBC must apply as visiting students.

Confirm your status before you apply

  • If you plan to enroll at UMBC over multiple consecutive terms (including fall and spring), but do not intend to pursue a full degree program or major, apply as a non-degree student.
  • If you previously attended UMBC and left in good standing, apply for readmission.
  • If you previously attended UMBC and did not leave in good standing, apply for reinstatement.
  • If you are currently a high school student and want to earn college credits apply for early admission.
  • If you are an incoming new student (admitted to begin full- or part-time at UMBC in the fall or spring) you do not need to apply for admission to enroll in the preceding summer or winter session. Contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and ask to change your semester start date to the summer or winter term.