COURSES WITH PREREQUISITE REQUIREMENTS
Students must have successfully satisfied the UMBC prerequisite requirements -- or be currently enrolled in the prerequisite course(s) -- before registering in summer courses with prerequisite requirements.
View prerequisite requirements
- Go to the online schedule of classes, search by subject and class number, and click on the “Course Section” to open the “Class Details” screen.
- Scroll down to “Enrollment Information” to determine the specific prerequisite requirements for the course.
- Download and view a list of all summer courses with prerequisite requirements.
Minimum grade requirement
Students enrolled in a spring course that is a “C or better prerequisite requirement" for a summer course, will be granted permission to enroll in the summer course, but may be required to verify their final grade once spring semester grades are published (see example).
- Students must drop their summer course if the minimum grade criteria of the spring prerequisite course is not met.
- Students must drop their Summer Session II course if the minimum grade criteria of their Summer Session I prerequisite course is not met.
- Please be aware of Schedule Adjustment Policy and the Summer Refund Schedule BEFORE you enroll.
Visiting Students -
Prerequisite Override Request
Since UMBC's registration system does not recognize non-UMBC students’ prior course history, visiting students are blocked from registering in any UMBC course with prerequisite requirements. Visiting students must first obtain a prerequisite override before they can enroll.
If you receive a registration error indicating that you do not have the appropriate prerequisites, or that you need consent to register, submit a prerequisite override request to the Office of Summer and Winter Programs.
Include in your request:
- Your name and UMBC campus ID
- The name and number of the UMBC summer course(s) you wish to enroll in.
- The name and number of the course(s) from your home institution that fulfills the UMBC prerequisite course requirement.
- A copy of your unofficial transcript (if you did not previously submit a transcript with your admission application) that includes the prerequisite course(s) and final grade received.
Visiting students granted a prerequisite override will be given a student-specific registration code to enroll. Please be aware that a prerequisite override does NOT guarantee your enrollment in the course. You are still required to register as soon as possible through myUMBC to secure your seat in the class.
If you are currently enrolled in a course at your home institution that will fulfill the prerequisite requirement for a UMBC summer course, you will be granted permission to enroll in the summer course. However, you may be required to produce an updated transcript that confirms you have completed the prerequisite course with the required minimum grade.
Please contact the Office of Summer and Winter Programs for assistance.