UMBC logo
    Resources For:
    Prospective Students
    Current Students
    Public Policy Community
    UMBC Home

Financial Aid

The Department of Public Policy provide several forms of financial support to students:

Graduate assistantships. Students awarded graduate assistantships must be full time and work 20 hours per week in the department. Graduate assistantships are usually awarded for the academic year (mid-August through mid-June), although occasionally there is a chance for a mid-year appointment. Applicants seeking funding through a graduate assistantship should contact the department.

External Grants. The Maryland Institute for Policy Analysis and Research, The Hilltop Institute, and the Shriver Peaceworker Program support graduate students through externally funded grants and research projects.

Fellowships. The department offers two fellowships to help outstanding public policy students pursue their graduate studies. The Judith A. Shinogle Memorial Fund supports Ph.D. students committed to health policy research; the Public Policy Alumni Graduate Fellowship is supported by contributions from Public Policy alumni. Read more about these fellowships here.

Co-op and work study. UMBC also offers graduate student support through co-op programs, work study, and other arrangements. U.S. applicants should complete a FASFA form when they apply to graduate school.

Students seeking to study full time should consult the UMBC Office of Financial Aid for details about the variety of other scholarships, grants, and loans available – Government agencies and other organizations may also provide support to their employees for graduate education. Employees should check with their human resources department.