A SAP appeal must be submitted for review to determine if you can regain eligibility for aid. When submitting your appeal, you must include the following items in order for your appeal to be considered as complete:
- A typed one page explanation that discusses the reason(s) you failed to meet SAP standards for the semester(s) as reflected on your transcript - you must also include what has changed and your plan to ensure future academic success
- Documentation supporting the extenuating circumstance(s) listed in your appeal letter - timeframes on your documentation
should support the circumstance described in your statement. For example:
- if an immediate family member passed away, include an obituary or death certificate
- for medical issues, include a completed SAP Medical Form
- for an employment situation, include a signed and dated statement from that employer on company letterhead
- for an auto accident, include a police report and/or a completed SAP Medical Form
- A completed Academic Plan of Action Form - must be reviewed and signed by a UMBC Academic Advisor
- A copy of your unofficial UMBC transcript
Please keep in mind that submission of a SAP appeal does not guarantee that your appeal will be approved. SAP decisions rendered by the SAP Appeals Committee are final and cannot be appealed.
Submission of a SAP appeal does not guarantee that your appeal will be approved. SAP decisions rendered by the SAP Appeals Committee are final and cannot be appealed.
You may continue to attend classes while appealing SAP restriction; however, financial aid will not be released unless the appeal is approved. If you wish to receive an appeal decision that may impact your decision to enroll, you must adhere to the deadline dates stated on the appeal form. Please be aware that late appeals will not be considered. You will be responsible for payment of your bill by the due date for any outstanding charges even if your appeal decision is pending.
Please note: If you are currently dismissed or suspended from UMBC, you must be readmitted to the university before a decision can be made regarding your SAP appeal - you should submit your appeal by the stated deadline date while awaiting your decision for reinstatement. You should keep in mind that reinstatement to the university does not guarantee receipt of financial aid.
2014-2015 Deadlines for SAP Appeals
The SAP Appeals Committee will meet to review all complete appeals and decision letters will be emailed to your myUMBC email address within 3-4 weeks of the deadline date. Decisions made by the SAP Committee are final and cannot be appealed.
You must submit the appeal and all supporting documentation no later than one of the following deadline dates:
July 25, 2014, 4:00pm
- If you are appealing to receive summer Pell Grant based on your 2014/15 FAFSA and/or fall 2014 financial aid, you must submit all documents by this deadline
- Decision notifications will be emailed before the start of the fall semester unless you are enrolled in summer courses - summer grades must be reviewed before an evaluation can be completed for fall eligibility
January 5, 2015, 4:00pm
- If you are appealing to receive spring and/or summer 2015 financial aid, you must submit all documents by this deadline
- Decision notifications will be emailed before the start of the spring semester unless you are enrolled in fall courses - fall grades must be reviewed before an evaluation can be completed for spring or summer
May 1, 2015, 4:00pm
- If you are appealing to receive financial aid for summer 2015, you must submit all documents by this deadline
- Decision notifications will be emailed before the start of the summer semester unless you are enrolled in spring courses - spring grades must be reviewed before an evaluation can be completed for summer eligibility
If you do not appeal by one of these deadline dates you will not have financial aid to assist you for the 2014-2015 academic year.
For your appeal to be considered, please submit the following documentation:
- 2014-15 SAP Appeal Form
- 2014-15 Academic Plan Form
- 2014-15 SAP Medical Form (if appealing for medical reasons)
Please be aware that late and/or incomplete appeals will not be considered.
SAP Approved Appeals
Students whose SAP appeals are approved will be placed on Financial Aid Probation for the upcoming semester.
Students placed on Financial Aid Probation must:
- Enroll only in the courses outlined in their Academic Plan for each specific term
- Successfully complete each course within the term with a passing grade of A, B, C or P
Students placed on Financial Aid Probation will:
- Only have financial aid approved for the probationary semester
- Have their academic progress reviewed at the end of the first semester of their probationary semester
- Your SAP status will return to financial aid restriction and you will become ineligible for aid if you receive a non-passing grade of D, F, I or W in a course during a probationary semester
Students who fail to meet their plan requirements or have not regained eligibility by meeting SAP standards will be placed on SAP restriction and may only appeal if they have new extenuating circumstances that impacted their inability to meet the terms of their Financial Aid Probation.