Thinking About Ancient Studies?
Prospective Ancient Studies students should familiarize themselves with our program. Using the links in our Student Resources section, a variety of information is available to high school students, potential transfer students, and parents.
Learning Goals for Ancient Studies Majors:
- translate Greek and/or Latin texts and understand their literary contexts
- identify important Greek and Roman myths, legends, and stories
- describe and analyze basic elements of the history, society, and material culture of the Greeks, Romans, and other ancient peoples
- evaluate sources of information about people of the past.
- develop a thesis about an ancient culture, and support it with primary and secondary sources in oral and/or written presentations
These learning goals are consistent with the following of the UMBC Student Learning Outcomes: Oral and Written Communication (I), Critical Analysis and Reasoning (III), and Information Literacy (IV).