- ABOUT US
- ACADEMIC SUPPORT
- ADVISING FAQ
Here are few tips to help you navigate your academic journey at UMBC:
1. Be aware of dates and deadlines. Ôø‡Ôø‡This is especially important for those related to Placement Testing and New Student Orientation. Make sure to visit the Orientation website early and often, www.umbc.edu/orientation.
2. Preview the online catalog. Ôø‡Ôø‡This can be very helpful for learning about major and course requirements, www.umbc.edu/catalog. Ôø‡Ôø‡
3. Send transcripts to UMBC. Ôø‡Ôø‡It is important to do this as soon as possible. Ôø‡Ôø‡Prior to Orientation, you should be able to access your myUMBC and preview your Transfer Credit Report. Ôø‡Ôø‡This report will give you detailed information on how your transfer credit was evaluated. Ôø‡Ôø‡More detailed information about this report will be given at New Student Orientation.
4. Know whatÔø‡Ôø‡Ôø‡s different. Ôø‡Ôø‡Even though you are a seasoned college student, every university has things that make it unique. Ôø‡Ôø‡Understanding UMBCÔø‡Ôø‡Ôø‡s general requirements early on will help ensure that you stay on track for graduation. Ôø‡Ôø‡Check them out here, http://www.umbc.edu/catalog/2012/appendices/Appendix_IV.pdf.
5. Ôø‡Ôø‡Find ways to get connected. Ôø‡Ôø‡The Office of Undergraduate Education has terrific resources to help transfer students feel connected to the university and to help make UMBC yours, including Transfer Student Seminars just for incoming transfer students. Ôø‡Ôø‡Learn more at Ôø‡Ôø‡http://www.umbc.edu/undergrad_ed/fys/transferStudents.html.